When setting up a business in Vietnam, deciding on a business name and registering the name along with your company registration is hard, and changing that name afterwards can be an overwhelming bureaucratic process to many business owners due to different requirements and restrictions that are largely determined by national and state regulations. Here, we cover the procedure as well as the limitations of changing a company name in Vietnam.
Want to set up your company in Vietnam? See Cekindo’s Company Registration Service
Legal issues to avoid when choosing a company name in Vietnam
In accordance with Company Law in Vietnam, Vietnamese and foreign entrepreneurs who want to set up a company must select and reserve a company name.
The chosen name, however, according to Decree 01/2021/ND-CP, has some limitations as below:
- It has to be ensured that the name is not already used by another enterprise or easily confused with another enterprise’s name that has been registered on the National Enterprise Registration Database, except for the names of the enterprises that have been declared dissolved or bankrupt.
- It is illegal to use a protected trade name, brand name, or geographical indicator as part of an entity’s proper name unless the owner of the protected trade name or brand name approves.
Procedure of changing a business name in Vietnam
Required documents to change a company name:
- Certificate of business registration
- Investment registration certificate (for enterprises with investment projects).
- Certificate of Tax Identification Number (if any)
- Notice to legal representative about change of business name
- Minutes of meeting on change of company name (for limited liability companies with two or more members, joint stock companies, and partnerships)
- Decision of the Chairman of the Board of Directors/Board of Directors on changing the name of the enterprise
Step-by-step on how to change your business name
Here is the simplified process:
- Check the availability of the chosen name
- Prepare and submit the required documents for changing a company name on Enterprise Registration Certificate
- Prepare and submit the required papers for updating Investment Registration Certificate (if your company is a FDI company)
- Give notifications to all related authorities such as licensing and tax departments about the name change
- Replace the old name with the new name on the company seal and all company’s official documents
Change your company name with Cekindo
Before your new company name can be acknowledged and legalised in Vietnam, you need to fulfill several legal steps first, from checking the availability of the name to following up with the process with the Business Registration Authorities.
Let Cekindo help you save time and free from concerns. Our highly skilled and experienced consultants offer professional legal name change service with reasonable and fair price for both large and small businesses. Leave your contact below to get immediate help from us.