A health certificate in Vietnam is an official document released by registered and licensed medical institutions and hospitals in the country. These health certificates are usually used for applying for a work permit and TRC once you enter the country.
The most important benefit of doing a checkup and obtaining a health certificate is to understand your health and avoid any health conditions or diseases.
Need a Work Permit? See Cekindo’s Work Permit Services in Vietnam
In addition, the latest and valid health certificate also allows you to apply for a work permit as a foreigner in Vietnam. This certificate shows your employer you are physically fit to fill the target position. However, do keep in mind that the health certificate is only valid for 12 months after its issuance for your work permit application.
It is stipulated by the Vietnamese Law, under Labor Code 2019, Article 151.1., that the only way for you to work and run your business in the country permanently is having a work permit. Without a work permit, an employer hiring a foreigner will face severe sanctions and the foreign employee may be deported.
Therefore, a health certificate is more vital than you think and it is compulsory when it comes to applying for your work permit.
Health Institutions Offering Health Certificates to Foreigners
Generally, citizens are able to obtain a health certificate to accompany their job application from all public hospitals and licensed private hospitals across the country. However, as a foreigner, things are a little more complicated, since ideally you would want an institution that accommodates your language. These are slightly harder to find, but we’ve compiled a list of them for you to reference as a start.
Below are health institutions which are certified to effectively provide health certificates to foreigners in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. For the full list of licensed providers, click here.
Ho Chi Minh City
Application Process for Health Certificate in Vietnam for Foreigners
If you want to get a health certificate for yourself or your foreign employee, you need to complete a medical checkup in licensed hospitals or health establishments in Vietnam.
It will be an added advantage for you if you can speak some Vietnamese as many of the hospital staff don’t speak English.
Here are the documents you will need to get a health certificate along with the health checkup:
1. Bring a few 4 cm x 6 cm photos of the applicant in a white background to the hospital. The photo must not be older than 6 months and it should fit your current appearance.
2. Fill in an application form with details such as the following:
- Applicant’s full name
- Passport number and its issuance date
- Current residence and correspondence address
- Purpose of applying for a health certificate
- Family medical history
- Applicant’s medical history
- Current medication treatment
- Obstetric history if you are a female applicant
- Signature and full name at the bottom of the application form
3. Once the health institution receives the application, they will verify its completeness and validity, as well as putting a seal on the attached photo on the form.
4. The health institution will perform a medical checkup on the applicant including the following tests:
- Basic physical exam
- Measure of BMI
- Urine and blood tests
- Stool sample test
- ECG (Electrocardiogram)
- Some other tests when deemed necessary
Work Permit Application Process in Vietnam
If you wish to obtain a Vietnam work permit or work visa as a foreigner, your foreign company must already have a branch, representative office, or subsidiary in Vietnam.
Also, it is compulsory to follow these steps below:
- Get a sponsorship letter or a pre-approval letter
- Obtain a work permit application form from Cekindo.
- Fill out the form with all the required information.
- Present the status of your temporary residency.
- Cekindo will advise you on all the necessary documents (including the health certificate) and handle all the paperwork for the application.
- Cekindo will submit the application form together with the complete set of documents to the Vietnamese Department of Labor.
How Cekindo can Assist with Both Health Certificate and Work Permit Applications
It is by law that foreigners setting up a business or working in Vietnam must acquire a health certificate for their work permit application.
Plus, it is important to note that due to the influx of foreigners, the procedures for restricted sectors and foreign entry may change over time.
At Cekindo, we can keep you abreast of any updates and help you obtain an up-to-date health certificate in Vietnam for your work permit application.
To get started with Cekindo to obtain your health certificate and work permit in Vietnam, speak to one of our professional consultants by filling in the form below.